A study of prevalence of ocular disorders in primary school children in Warangal

  • Dr. K Ravinder Regional Eye Hospital, Warnagal, Telangana,India
  • B. Giridhar reddy Regional Eye Hospital, WarnagalTelangana,India
  • T .Soujanya Regional Eye Hospital, Warnagal, Telangana,India
Keywords: Ophthalmic screening, Visual defects, Vitamin-A deficiency

Abstract

Objectives: To study the prevalence of common ocular disorders in primary and upper primary school children between 5 to12years of age. To screen primary school children studying in government schools. Materials and methods: In the present study, a total of 50 government schools were visited. A total of 5000 children were examined. The materials consisted of Ophthalmic screening kit which has been used to detect the common ocular
disorders in school. Results: A total of 5000 children were examined, of which 2491were boys and 2509 were girls. So males (49.82%) and females (50.06%) had an equal representation. The total male children found with visual defects were 168 and total female children found with visual defects were 195. Total number of children found with visual defects were 363. Male and female children with visual defects is 3.36% and 3.9%. Total children with visual defects in the sample is 7.26%.The prevalence rate of myopia, is 1.8%, hypermetropia 0.2%, astigmatism is 0.36%, Refractive errors is 2.36%, bitot’s Spots is 1.7%., conjunctival xerosis is 0.9%, Vitamin-A deficiency is 2.6%, squint is 0.42%, cornealopacity is 0.24%, cataracts is 0.16%, ptosis is 0.18%, amblyopia is 0.14%, keratitis is 0.3%, retinal diseases is 0.22%. The prevalence rate of other diseases is 0.64%. Conclusion: High prevalence of overall ocular morbidity and refractive errors among school students in urban South Indian area. It highlights the urgent need to implement at school level, health facility-based, cost-effective strategies, and appropriate eye careprograms targeting school children to reduce the burden of visual impairment among them.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biographies

Dr. K Ravinder, Regional Eye Hospital, Warnagal, Telangana,India

Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology

 

B. Giridhar reddy, Regional Eye Hospital, WarnagalTelangana,India

Assistant professor, Department of Ophthalmology 

T .Soujanya, Regional Eye Hospital, Warnagal, Telangana,India

Post Graduate, Department of Ophthalmology

Published
2016-06-30
How to Cite
Dr. K Ravinder, B. Giridhar reddy, & T .Soujanya. (2016). A study of prevalence of ocular disorders in primary school children in Warangal. Asian Pacific Journal of Health Sciences, 3(2), 33-42. https://doi.org/10.21276/apjhs.2016.3.2.8